Sunday, May 6, 2012

Math Class

This last week I decided to have my Topics 1 math class set individual goals for the unit we are on. I wanted them to set a goal for daily work and quiz/test scores. I felt like some of the students were blowing the class off or starting to shut down. I thought by having them set a goal it would help bring their focus back. It has only been 3 class periods since we set goals, and all of the students have completed their work on time. I am very happy with this because it was coming to the point that 3-4 students would not use class time and would also turn in assignments late or not at all. When I asked them to set goals, some of them complained about having to do it, others asked why, and some were very excited about it. I explained to them that I wanted them to take more ownership for their grades. I am hoping this will help with the dynamics of this class. Most of them will need to move on to the next level of math so it is important they are grasping the concepts we are covering on.

No comments:

Post a Comment